Even though vegetarian diet is one of the most famous diets in the world, however, not all people know its different types; vegans, lacto-vegetarians, and ovo-vegetarians are all examples of vegetarians.
Although they are all vegetarians at the end, but each of them has different beliefs and also different eating habits.
Types of Vegetarians
Here are four of the different types of vegetarians that follow different rules.
They definitely all agree on not eating any type of meats, but they are not all the same when it comes to eating animal by-products.
- Vegans: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products like eggs, dairy or even honey.
- Ovo-vegetarians: Ovo-vegetarians do not consume dairy products, but they are okay with consuming eggs.
- Lacto-ovo vegetarians: Lacto-ovo vegetarians can consume both dairy products and also eggs.
- Lacto-vegetarians: Lacto-vegetarians are considered the opposite of ovo-vegetarians, they consume dairy products and do not consume eggs.
Who are lacto-vegetarians?
Let’s take a close look at lacto-vegetarians, what they eat, what they do not eat and why do they follow this diet?
Lacto-vegetarian diet is one of the most famous types of vegetarian diet.
Since the word “lacto” is a Latin word that means milk, so it is easy to conclude that lacto-vegetarians do consume milk normally.
Also, since they are vegetarians, they do not consume any kinds of red meat, poultry or fish.
What do lacto-vegetarians eat?
Lacto-vegetarian diet has some restrictions, but, on the other hand, it allows people who follow it to eat a lot of food with no guilt.
From food that lacto-vegetarian diet allow:
1. Fruits and vegetables
Fruits and vegetables are from the main sources of nutrients that our bodies need.
They actually provide us with fibers, minerals, vitamins, potassium and a lot of other nutrients.
In addition to their great benefits, they also taste delicious and have different forms.
We all love nuts with their different types and tastes such as almonds, peanut and pistachios.
They actually give a special taste when added to any recipe and they are also very rich in nutrients, they are a good source of protein, fiber, calcium, iron and zinc.
Legumes are also allowed on the food list of lacto-vegetarians, as they are also plants.
They come in a lot of types and can be cooked in different ways, also they have a lot of health benefits.
Accordingly, a lacto vegetarian has no problem with eating honey.
Honey is really nutritious and beneficial, it contains vitamins, minerals, calcium, iron and zinc.
Milk is one of the products that not all vegetarians agree on consuming, however, lacto-vegetarians have no problem with it.
Milk is actually one of the most important sources of nutrients needed for the body, it provide us with calcium, protein, potassium, phosphorus and vitamins.
Cheese is one of the most popular foods that is loved by almost everyone, it has different forms and it can be consumed in many ways.
It makes a perfect breakfast, snack, dinner and also an ingredient of a lot of main courses.
Additionally, cheese contains a lot of nutrients such as protein, calcium, zinc, magnesium and also different vitamins.
Butter is one of the foods that has different uses, it can be used for frying, baking and it can also be eaten alone.
Lacto-vegetarian diet is one of the diets that allow consuming butter.
Even though butter is unfortunately high in calories and fats, but, it also contains vitamins and calcium.
Yogurt is actually one of the healthiest food to consume, it has a lot of health benefits.
In addition to being full of protein, calcium, potassium, minerals and vitamins, yogurt also works on weight management, which makes it highly recommended on diets.
What lacto-vegetarians can not eat?
Just like all special diets, also lacto-vegetarian diet has some restrictions, it does not allow its followers from eating some food, from this food:
1. Red meat, poultry and seafood
Since lacto-vegetarians are vegetarians at the end, it is not possible for them to eat any types of meat.
Which is actually a restriction to all types of vegetarian diets.
Eggs are from the foods that not all types of vegetarians agree on eating, some types like ovo-vegetarians consume eggs normally.
However, lacto vegetarians prohibit consuming eggs at all.
Not only for lacto-vegetarians, but all types of vegetarians do not eat marshmallows.
The reason behind this is that marshmallows are actually made from gelatin, which is made from the skin, bones, and hooves of animals.
Why are lacto-vegetarians against eating eggs?
Lacto-vegetarians think that since an egg is to be fertilized and form another animal, therefore, consuming eggs mean killing a life.
Also, some lacto-vegetarians are against the eggs industry itself, they find it cruel and inhuman.
On the other hand, they think that milk is not actually supposed to be another animal, so, consuming it does not require any killing to animals, also, they think that its industry is not harmful to animals like eggs industry.
Health benefits of being lacto-vegetarian
There is no doubt that dairy products have a lot of health benefits and are high in nutrients like calcium, protein, potassium and vitamins.
Also, that meats can cause different types of diseases, so, as lacto-vegetarians consume dairy products and do not consume meat, they are healthy.
Accordingly, being a lacto-vegetarian puts you at lower risks of:
- Heart diseases
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Lacto-vegetarian diet recipes
Since lacto-vegetarian diet allows consuming milk, butter, cheese and all dairy products, it gives more variety of ingredients for cooking.
This is one of the easiest, most quickly prepared and most useful recipes ever, it can be eaten as lunch, dinner or even as a snack.
It can also be prepared and saved in the refrigerator to be eaten later on.
It contains cheddar cheese, which makes it a lacto-vegetarian recipe that does not suit all vegetarians.
- Small whole-wheat pasta box
- Corn can
- Black beans can
- Salsa cup
- Low fat cheddar cheese cup
- Green pepper cup
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Prepare the pasta and put it in a large bowl.
- Set the liquids in the corn can and the black beans can aside.
- Put all the ingredients on the pasta and mix them well in the bowl.
- Add some of the liquids you already saved and mix.
- Serve it cool or at room temperature.
A very tasty and nutritious soup that make a great lunch or dinner, especially in winter.
It is considered lacto-vegetarian because it contains butter and yogurt.
- 7 cups of baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup of beans
- 1/2 cup of dill
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of green lentils
- 2 tablespoons of dried mint
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup of parsley
- 9 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium.
- Add onion and stir until it turns golden and soft.
- Put garlic, beans and chickpeas and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add 8 cups cold water and let boil.
- Stir until beans are halfway cooked.
- Add lentils and stir until beans are creamy and lentils are tender.
- Add spinach, cilantro and dill and cook until greens are just wilted and have slightly darkened.
- Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- While soup is simmering, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high.
- Add onion and stir until onions are crispy.
- Season it with salt and transfer it to a plate, cover it with foil to keep warm.
- Mix yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl and season them with salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium.
- Add mint and stir until mint oil darken.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Put the soup in bowls and add yogurt mixture on it.
- Add mint oil over soup, then put the fried onions on top.
To Wrap Up
Lacto-Vegetarian diet is simply a type of vegetarian diets that allows consuming dairy products.
However, it is still common with other vegetarian diet types in not consuming any meat products, eggs or gelatin.
Also, it has the same purposes of saving animal lives, environment and also health.